After reading Hou In Chan's blog post on the book Paper Towns, written by John Green, I was really able to understand the author's message of Paper Towns, even though I have never read Paper Towns. Based on Hou In's blog post, Paper Towns is about a teenager named Quentin Jacobsen who secretly watches the life of Margo Roth Spiegelman. Quentin watches Margo until the real person climbs into his room and demands for him to take part in her revengeful plans. The author's intrusion that Hou In found, and the one that she says that shows a lot about the author's message is, "from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You can see how fake it all is" (57). I strongly believe that Hou In did well on her post, because she backs up her point with a lot of details, quotes, and she relates the message to the real world and even the title.
I haven't read Paper Towns, but reading Hou In's post makes me want to read this book. I say this because Hou In really showed the message in her post, and the message in Paper Towns is one that I can relate to, and the message would teach me a lot about the world around me. The message in Paper Towns is an important message that can really change the perspective of a person. From what Hou In says, the message in this book, and the intention of John Green, is that "even though we may think that we can see through people in our lives, sometimes it may just be a camouflage of their true self." Hou In's post asks many philosophical questions, such as, "How can you tell between something real or fake?" This question really makes me think about human nature and the world around us. Everyday we are surrounded by real things and fake things. I completely agree with Hou In when she says that "When you look from far away, everything seems to be simplified. The weaknesses are like hidden by a human's eyes when you look from a distance. But up close, you can see all the imperfections. There are scratches, cracks, and stains. It can't be buried forever." Hou In is completely right when she says this. When she says this, it even goes into a deeper message. That message is that things can't always be hidden, and eventually you will see the truth behind the thing. Just like the place that is in Paper Towns that is fake. You can't see from far away the rust and the cracked paint, but you can tell that it is fake and that the place does have rust and cracked paint.
Hou In's blog post makes me think about The Catcher in the Rye. I say this because Holden Caulfield realizes the truth behind many things, from all the phonies in his school to people's true intention and how people really feel. When Holden describes his school people, he talks about how they falsely advertise themselves and how all the people in his school are phonies. Holden can see through the students and the school and realize that they aren't as smart and good as they think that they are. Holden also realizes how people really feel, like when he could tell that the old lady would get mad when something new was told to her. He knew that she would be very mad, because she will realize that she lived her whole life with wrong knowledge.
I have read a few posts by Hou In, but this one definitely stands out, because first of all, she wrote this blog post after reading her book for only a few days and she still has really strong thoughts, and she relates these thoughts and messages to the world and to the title. Also, this blog post include citations, this blog post is beautifully written, and this blog post includes many philosophical thoughts and questions that can really get you to think about human nature and the world around you. I really like the way that Hou In wrote her post. Hou In dissected one line and she dug deeper into in, reading in between the lines, and coming out with a great, strong thought. Her blog post wasn't just summarizing. The blog post was full of thoughts, quotes, and evidence. Hou In's blog post was really engaging, because she proposed many philosophical thoughts and questions, and really made you think about the world. I can add more thoughts, quotes, evidence, citations, and philosophical thoughts into my blog posts. I also need to make my summary shorter. Overall, I believe that Hou In's blog post is very thoughtful, deep, and strong.
No comments:
Post a Comment